bitbol

Monday, March 19, 2007

The MPAA, RIAA are causing a stir

The MPAA has taken the last tolerable step for some people. At a screening of a recently released movie, one man recounts the hell involved just to get in the theater. There were security guards intended to stop people from recording the movie. This particular man did the respectable thing to do: kept walking. It is ridiculous to have to subject yourself to the security worse than that of an airline, just to watch a movie. Also, as he points out, the guards walked the aisles, getting in the way of the screen.

The NPR has started a noble war against the RIAA. The NPR is fighting the royalty increase that the RIAA is pushing for. Not only is the RIAA pushing for this increase, but making online radio companies pay for all of their use in the past. It's almost as if the RIAA wants to put all the radio stations out of business so nobody ever hears of a new song they want to download.

Other than the astronomical price to radio stations, the DRM mandated by the RIAA is a considerable cost to customer service departments. Ars Technica reports that 75% of customer service calls are related to DRM issues. It is obviously not saving anyone any money. Why can't the people at the top realize that? [all stories via digg]

Labels: , , ,


7:47 PM | Posted by mike | 4 comments posted below

Comments:

Boycott this kind of bullshit. Voting with your feet and your money is the only kind of action these goons will pay any attention to.
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2007 10:07:00 PM
I really think we're seeing the last throes (I hate to sound like Dick Cheney there :) of the old guard trying to preserve their outdated business model as technology is turning against them. They're losing and they know it, so they're lashing out in any way they can.
By Blogger Mike, at 3/20/2007 09:49:00 AM
@john
To some extent, I already do that. I have not bought any new music in over a year. I am satisfied with what I have. When I find a nice DRM-free source of music, I will buy some songs. (I like the ability to do individual songs with online stores.)

@mike
I must agree. I think they are trying to squeeze every last penny out before their business model topples.
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/20/2007 10:06:00 PM
I've been trying to buy most of my music from eMusic lately, since they sell DRM-free MP3s which I can play anywhere.
By Blogger Mike, at 3/21/2007 09:47:00 AM
Post a Comment

Barack Obama for President