bitbol

Monday, September 18, 2006

Why I think school is a waste of time

How often do you find yourself wondering how to calculate the frequency based on the period of a wave? My guess, only while in school, or never at all. So much of what they want us to learn in school has little to no effect on our future.

Looking at just the classes that I am taking this year, my junior year, I see the waste. Math, you should know how it works, but I don't really see the necessity of learning everything there is, as you'll probably never use it. Language arts class is sort of a balance. I understand that you should be required to be able to form comprehendable sentences, but beyond that it should be optional. I have no intentions of writing a book, so I shouldn't need to know everything anout the mess that is the english language. Economics, you should understand the concept, but there's no need for a whole course on it, and the same with statistics. I doubt that I'll ever use any physics ever again in my life after this year. Then the foreign language, you shouldn't be pushed into it unless you plan to travel to a foreign country.

What schools really need to do is get people's decisions on what they plan to persue in terms of a career, then teach them what they need for that line of work, anything beyond that should be optional, and encouraged, not required.

Labels: ,


4:32 PM | Posted by mike | 1 comments posted below

Comments:

I see where you are coming from. Some of the stuff we have to learn is stupid. I am planning to homeschool my kids, partly because i feel the National Curriculum (bonnie old England) is over-prescriptive. However, working it out on your career plans can be a bit risky because they can change really quickly. When I was seventeen i wanted to be a drama teacher, when i was eighteen i was going to be a mental health nurse, now i want to work informally with children with special needs. however i am studying Maths & Further Maths atm and i do acknowledge that it is all pretty pointless, excepting the fact that it makes me look clever.
stick at it, though, you never know when it might come in handy.
*rolls eyes*
By Blogger Helibear, at 3/05/2007 10:50:00 AM
Post a Comment

Barack Obama for President