bitbol

Monday, May 21, 2007

What happens if you leave firefox alone

[Image: Firefox memory usage]I left my computer on this afternoon. Firefox was open with a few tabs. No other programs were open, but my computer became so sluggish that no videos would play right. I opened the task manager to see what was going on.

I sorted the processes by memory usage and found Firefox was the culprit. I have since restarted the program, so it is now only using about a quarter of the memory that it was. I find this to be a big weakness of Firefox. I have known of the issue though reading online, but now I see the problem. I can only imagine if I were to leave it open all night.

Labels: , ,


6:41 PM | Posted by mike | 1 comments posted below

Comments:

It also happens on the Mac and the culprit seems to be Flash. If you keep a page open with flash animations (including animated ads), even if it's in a different tab, it will start using lots of CPU time. I've switched to Camino which seems to use a lot less CPU time and doesn't get as sluggish. I still miss firefox plugins, but I can live with it.
By Blogger mike3k, at 5/21/2007 06:51:00 PM
Post a Comment

Barack Obama for President